Friday, July 19, 2013

This Is Our Life Thursday: Graduation!

Oh I have been dying to write about this.


This is what I saw as I gazed at the computer a couple of months ago. It was a sign. I had asked for a closer burlesque opportunity and here it was staring back at me. Immediately I saw there was a class and signed up the very next morning. A lot of people said I was crazy to drive to Dallas every Sunday for six weeks. It was too far, gas costs too much, blah, blah, blah. I knew I was in the right place. The first moment I knew that was when I met my teacher Dirty Blonde.

(Here she is!)

Seriously best woman alive, ever. I was nervous at first because I really didn't think I was learning anything. But after the second class things seemed to click. At one point we had to perform our routines for the classes and get feedback from her and the other students. When it was my turn she gave me some good advice on where on how to the use the stage to my advantage and the best piece was to just have fun. 

"You're a natural. You have this infectious smile and I already know they are going to LOVE you"

And so it came. It was Friday, July 17th, and I had already my make up on from the show. We did a brief run through of the show to make sure all of our tech stuff was taken care off and we headed up to the dressing room and waited for our names to be called. 

I was nervous. Terrified, really. Not about performing or being on stage, but of what the audience was going to think. Would they like it? Would they think it was stupid? Would anyone cheer? I took a breath and squeezed my potion bottle that I got from Veronica and focused. I felt better and then I was at the bottom of the stairs behind the curtain that led to the stage. Waiting for my cue to walk up steps to the stage. My heart was pounding in my chest.

"Give it up for the male harlot, Mr. Jay Scarlet!"

The crowd erupted into cheers and I glided up to the stage. A long crimson cloak covered me and hid my face. The music started off slow and haunting and it picked up to a faster a beat. I slid off the cloak and turned around and the screams got louder. 


(The first reveal)

And I owned that stage. I heard nothing but screams and laughs and whoops. It was so amazing. I felt that spark again. I was exactly where I wanted and needed to be. And then it was over. I tilted my head and blew a kiss to the audience before walking off the steps and then running up the stairs laughing like a little kid. I went downstairs, in a borrowed bathrobe, and watched the second half of the show and loved every second of it. The guys I got to work with I feel like we're going to be friends for a very long time. 

So after the show I was told to go to a small 24-hour diner that was just a block and a half away from the theater and have "stripper breakfast". To better initiate myself to the fabulous world of burlesque. Although I was just starving from eating all day and I really wanted pancakes. So the crew and I went to the diner and ate and soon everyone showed up in tow. Unfortunately I had to open at work the next day (always take the next day off people, just my piece of advice) so we had to leave.

Right before I left I took Dirty's hand and said thank you again and again. Thank you for starting a school in Dallas, thank you for helping me on my first real burlesque routine, thank you for the opportunity, and thank for everything else. Her reply was: "Thank you for coming, thank you for performing, I am so glad that I got to meet you, you're a natural"

I love her I really do. She is fantastic, fabulous, and fierce. And she invited me to come back in September to do another boylesque show. Of course I'm going to do it. I have to see all my brothers and sisters again.

 (The first being Chess Shires)

(Eros Jones)

(Ida Bubbestein)

(MT Molotov)


(Lyric Laveau)


(Mitch Kitsch)


(G.I. Jim)


(Vincent Vermuth, brother to Vivienne Vermuth who did my kick ass make up)

And the last but certainly not least is Stephan the Southern Fried King of Burlesque. This guy was so amazing and so great to work. He's very talented and I would really kill for his fantastic legs.


So yeah that's it. I'm sorry I didn't post yesterday the photographer who came to the show is still uploading pictures so when I get more trust me I'll be posting them. So you'll guys will just have to be satisfied with the one on top and one of whore face.



Also a huge thank you to everyone that participated in the art contest. It's going to be very tough to choose but I will let you know by next Thursday. 

I love you all and I hope you have a magical weekend.

Icing Kisses,

J.S.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers