Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Magic of Tarot

Welcome back to another segment of Tell Me About It Tuesday.

After reading Veronica's post about tarot yesterday I felt inspired to write about my own experiences with the tarot.
(Strength from the Paulina Tarot)

Magic has always interested me, especially when I was younger. I was drawn to it. I didn't get interested in tarot until I was about nine or ten years old. I'm almost a little embarrassed to admit this but it was from a T.V. show called The Vision of Escaflowne.


The show was a about an average high school girl named Hitomi. She was on the track team and she also told fortunes for her classmates via tarot. I just remember being so entranced by the cards and her ability to know their meaning just by looking at them. She ends up getting whisked away to another planet called Gaea and her psychic powers become even more powerful. It's a good show and I do recommend it to any anime lovers.

(A picture of some of Hitomi's cards)

I couldn't believe that someone could actually know your past, present, or future by using something as simple as cards. I wanted to have my fortune told by someone but being that I was a little kid and my parents frown upon something like this, I kept it my dream to myself. Then one day in my freshman year of high school my friend Amber brought her own tarot deck to class. I don't remember the name of it. All I can remember was that the cards had cartoon-ish looking dragons on them. She did a few card spreads for us and then asked if anyone of us wanted to have our own reading. I jumped at the chance. She told me to think of a question and only that question. So I closed my eyes and focused on my question while shuffling the cards in my hands. I gave her back her cards and she started the spread. I don't remember all the cards that were used. All I remember was the last card. The card that was supposed to be my answer.



I was about seventeen when I bought my first deck which was the Rider-Watie Deck. I thought that this would be a good one to start with since this was the deck I saw the most. I used this deck a lot in college because I had friends that wanted advice about something in their lives and I was more than happy to get the practice in. It wasn't until my friend Mark showed up for on of our plays that noticed his deck, the Revelations Deck.


I didn't know about the vast possibilities when it came to the cards. This is when my friend, Tanya, asked me if my deck spoke to me or if I ever felt drawn to it. I told her not really. I just got it because I thought it was a good one to start with. She told me when buying anything magical you need to feel something for it. It needs to speak to you. And it took me a while to find the right cards but after all this searching I finally did. 





This was the first card that I saw and I fell in love. I finally understood what my friends meant. I felt drawn to these cards. I could hear them calling out to me. And they have been very helpful in all my readings. 

If any of you are ever interested in tarot and want to see what kinds of decks are out there I recommend Aeclectic Tarot or Tarot.com  although you can find decks pretty much anywhere. Just remember when purchasing your deck 

1) have a connection with it. If you feel drawn to it or if it speaks to you or maybe you can already see a story when you look at the cards. You need to feel something for it.

2) Never haggle for the prices of magical items. Just my advice.

Or maybe you don't really feel like tarot is your thing and you want to try orcale cards. There are a huge selection of those are well. In fact May-May uses them. His cards are the Oracle of Shadows and Light.


Well that's all I have for you today. And if you ever want a reading from me all you have to do is ask ;)

Icing kisses,

J.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers