Thursday, March 14, 2013

Wake Up To Make Up

My mom was a secretary for eighteen years. Every day she would wake up at five in the morning and get ready for a long day. She’d shower and then start on her make up and hair. I remember waking up early and watching her put on her face. I always loved watching her becoming more beautiful and I was a little jealous. I wanted to look just as beautiful.

When I was a little kid I was asked to be a part of our high school’s fall production of The Wizard of Oz . They were looking for kids to be munchkins and I was excited to be on stage. There are plenty of stories I could give about this whole experience but I want to focus on what one of my co-actors said to me. We were in the boy’s dressing room getting ready for practice. I noticed that a couple of the older boys were grabbing brushes and Halloween paints before they started to apply it. I was confused. Growing up I was taught that only girls wore make up. This did not compute. I sat there marveled that boys were putting on blush, powder, and lipstick. What was this? One of the main characters looked at me.

“Why aren’t you getting ready?” The incredibly flamboyant Tin Man asked me.

“I don’t know how to do that.” I motioned to the older kids getting ready.

“Well, you’re going to learn.” He said taking some lipstick. “Wake up to make up, honey”.

I really wish that I could say that he helped me put on my lipstick and I thought I was pretty and that I knew I would always want to do this. But that would be a huge lie. In fact I actually ran away from the Tin Man and even accidently slammed his fingers in a door. This caused him, along with our director and the other main characters (except Glinda and the Wicked Witch, my cousin) to hate me. And to this day I feel awful for what I did to the guy and I really wished I had embraced what he was trying to do for me.
Although there were many negative experiences from doing that production one thing stuck. I loved being on stage and I wanted to continue doing that.

Now, originally, I didn’t want to wear much make up for C.C. because I felt like it was too much work but I have since embraced it. 







I really wanted to show a picture of me doing my own make up for this entry but I had no time. Maybe next entry?

Instead let me tell you about you about a C.C. tradition: whore-face. Whore-face was a term that May-May and I came up with this term when I took this picture:


Whore-face is when after anytime we wear make up we try to make ourselves look as nasty as possible. Usually this is done with wetting one hand and smacking against one side of your face and then rubbing it up and down. Smearing all of your make up in the process and giving yourself a whore face. It started as just a joke but it turned into so much more. It’s a nice way to unwind after a long day and give yourself a good laugh.

Now this next picture is one we haven’t shared yet. Last week May-May and I entered in a short film contest for The Devils Carnival

We spent a good four or so hours filming and after being in the cold, covered in fake blood, and running in heels we grabbed some of the candy we used and did a spectacular whore-face. It was a great night and I had an amazing time. Here is our contest entry and you guys should totally watch, like, and comment on it.

Till next week, Sprinkles,

Love,

Jay


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers